I dont follow Formula 1 and all my friends will talk about the Grand Prix. And morning canteen talk would be about the previous formula races. The below one was written my friend Shanawaz when Schumi is about the F1 scene and they was lots of news, sorrow and disappointment spreading around because of his retirement. And read the below, it would give a different perspective of the Schumi Character..
PS: My take on MS. He was good and even great, But the title of the 'greatest ever' deserves a better human being!
its true schumacher has achieved so much. I have absolutely no problems with his driving skills. He has been a fantastic driver. But in sport, numbers dont reveal the full story and says nothing abt the man.
1. 1994 Season finale, Schumacher and Hill both in contention for the championships, Schumacher makes a mistake, goes off track and once he realises Hill is gonna overtake, he attempts to hit hill and take him out, successfully. Both retire and schumi wins championships 1994.
2. 1997 season finale and exactly the same incident. Bcos he got away in 1994, schumi tries the same thing in the last race and hits villeneuve. He crashes out whereas villeneuve, luckily goes on to win the championships.
I know such tactics existed in F1, but if you call somebody the greatest ever, the greatest ever in other sports dont win by hook or crook. They win by establishing their genius. Mohammed Ali didnot bite anybody's ears and thats why Mike tyson cannot become a Mohammed Ali
3. Schumacher's pass on Barrichello in Monaco 2005 when both were out of contention and fighting for 7 th and 8 th places. He makes a very risky overtakin move in the lastlap and makes uncharitable remarks after the race alluding to 'I am not here racing for fun, this is serious stuff'. Mind you, was Rubens Barrichello racing for fun when he was leading the race in Austria 2002 and ordered to slow down to let schumi pass him. Team orders do exist, but why should we call him the greatest ever if he needs the help of team orders. Atleast Barrichello had the decency to keep his mouth shut after the race.
4. Monaco this year ofcourse. It was very amusing to see a man with 90 championship wins and many other glittering numbers lose control of his car in such a funny fashion. Lose control? Ya right!!! His car is intact and the hoarding is intact and he loses control!
5. Nothing sums things better than his reaction on the Imola podium in 1994. The race during which F1 lost another great driver, Ayrton Senna and another driver Roland Ratzenberger to tragic accidents. When the whole world was mourning, Schumi was pumping his fist after the race and was seen grinning on the podium. Yes his reaction was muted, but it was still disgraceful and disrespectful to the sentiments of others. Anyway grace is not what schumacher is known for,
FYI Senna was leading schumacher when he crashed
6. Jus to put things to perspective about compassion and emotions, this is how Senna reacted when a fellow driver crashed. HE parked his car in the middle of the track and rushed to help him. It was incredibly stupid thing to do bcos an oncoming car wud have killed him, but at that instant, his stupidity didnot matter to him. All that mattered was a fellow driver's life and well being.
Yes yes.. there are a few tears going around MS is leaving. I can never summon enough respect for the man alongside legends like Mohammed Ali, Pele, Jordan, Sampras, Agassi, Tiger woods et al. He lacked that human touch and thats why I see all those messages going around in orkut saying 'bye bye schumi', I wonder how many ppl are aware of history and I cant get myself to be bothered. People have got their own choices and I respect it. But as far as i am concerned, I am more excited abt Kimi's arrival at ferrari than MS leaving. See you Michael, Micheal who?